Tuesday, May 4, 2010

AMBIGRAMBIGRAM - What's in a Name?

Obviously the word 'ambigram' is heavily used by people creating websites and blogs devoted to the subject, so when I had to pick a name for this blog space it was no surprise when Google reported that the website ambigram.blogspot.com was already taken.  What to do?

Since ambigrams are essentially a graphical way of playing with words I thought it would be fitting to choose a name that played with the word 'ambigram'.  Two obvious plays on the word that were begging to be employed were 'ambigram·a·rama' and 'ambigrambirama'.  They roll off the tongue like the name of your favorite bowling alley or laudromat but they didn't quite suit my taste.

The next name that came to mind was the one I decided to adopt: ambigrambigram.  The word 'ambigram' already starts and ends with the 'am' letter combination and the popular form of ambigrams repeat the same word twice (overlapped) so it wasn't a stretch to take two of the word, overlap the 'am's, and come up with the result.

I hadn't really thought about what kind of logo could be done with the word when I started the blog, but here are some very rough sketches of where I'll probably end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment